As well as my books, I write articles for a wide range of magazines, print and online, genre-specialist and general, to share the things I have learned about writing and the business of being an author.
This is one of the best ways I know for repaying the debt I owe for the generous advice of writers far more eminent than me, who’ve shared sage advice, timely warnings and cautionary tales for would-be authors through their own writings.
Here’s a list of articles hopefully of use and interest. Click through to read what I had to say.
- But Don’t You Just Make It All Up?
- The Art of Writing Fantasy
- Reasons to be Cheerful
- Poacher Turned Gamekeeper?
- Lost in Translation?
- Should Science Fiction and Fantasy Be Taught In Schools?
- Caution – Construction in Progress
- Tolkien – Sinner Or Saint ?
- How to be Edited – A Personal View
- How To Be Original and Still Get Published
- Deity of Choice, Not Another Bloody Fantasy Trilogy!
- Fantasy? But that’s just rubbish about elves and dwarves and stuff…
- But it’s just fantasy, isn’t it? Escapism, nothing to do with reality…
- On the Fifth Day of our Journey
- World Building
- Three facets of fantasy writing
- Do you ever get writer’s block? No, but I do get stopped dead.
- Blood in the Water? Where does it come from?
- The Uses of History in Fantasy
- It All Depends On Your Point Of View
- “That girl looks like trouble!”
- War? What is it good for?