Articles and opinions on assorted subjects
As well as my books, I write articles for a wide range of magazines, print and online, genre-specialist and general, to share the things I have learned about writing and the business of being an author.
This is one of the best ways I know for repaying the debt I owe for the generous advice of writers far more eminent than me, who’ve shared sage advice, timely warnings and cautionary tales for would-be authors through their own writings.
Here’s a list of articles hopefully of use and interest, in roughly reverse chronological order, that is to say, most recent at the top. Click through to read what I had to say.
- But Don’t You Just Make It All Up?
- The Art of Writing Fantasy
- Reasons to be Cheerful
- Poacher Turned Gamekeeper?
- Lost in Translation?
- Should Science Fiction and Fantasy Be Taught In Schools?
- Caution – Construction in Progress
- Tolkien – Sinner Or Saint ?
- How to be Edited – A Personal View
- How To Be Original and Still Get Published
- Deity of Choice, Not Another Bloody Fantasy Trilogy!
- Fantasy? But that’s just rubbish about elves and dwarves and stuff…
- But it’s just fantasy, isn’t it? Escapism, nothing to do with reality…
- On the Fifth Day of our Journey
- World Building
- Three facets of fantasy writing